Close this search box.

Frequently Asked Questions

Financial Aid Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)


To view TBCC’s Cost Calculator as well as additional cost information visit Cost to Attend.

If you are a U.S. Citizen or eligible non-citizen financial aid is determined by completing the FAFSA. You must reapply each year for financial aid and meet the following requirements:

  • Have a high school diploma or GED
  • Be working toward an eligible degree or certificate program at TBCC.
  • Be registered with Selective Service, if required.
  • Maintain satisfactory academic progress as defined by the college.
  • Not be in default on a student loan.
  • Not owe a repayment on a federal grant.


If you are an undocumented Oregon Resident financial aid is determined by completing the ORSAA. You must reapply each year.

To apply for federal and state aid, you need to file the FAFSA or the ORSAA. You must renew your application each school year beginning on Oct 1. You can learn all about applying for the first time or reapplying by following the steps located under Financial Aid.

To determine whether you should fill out the FAFSA or ORSAA visit the Oregon Office of Student Access and Completion website or contact a TBCC financial aid advisor at  or 503-842-8222 ext. 1100

Located in Student Services, Financial Aid Advisors are available for questions in person, or by phone (503) 842-8222 x 1100 or by email Contact us if you would like an appointment.

The Financial Aid Office will use your TBCC email to request additional documentation for verification and to let you know your financial aid offer needs to be accepted. Students with questions are asked to visit Student Services or make an appointment with a Financial Aid Advisor at or 503-842-8222 x1100.

Once you apply for financial aid your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) will be calculated. This is an estimate made by the federal government of what you and your family can afford to pay towards your college education.

The amount of money you can get is calculated like this:

Cost of Attendance (COA) – Expected Family Contribution (EFC) = The amount of aid you need

When the college receives your Student Aid Report (SAR) from the FAFSA, the school may require you (and your parents if you are a dependent student) to submit documentation to verify the information you provided on your FAFSA.

Items required for verification vary for each student, TBCC will notify you of any financial aid requirements through your Tillamook Bay email address. Promptly fill out and return any financial aid requirements. Incomplete or late forms can result in a delay of financial aid. Keep a copy of all the documents you submit for your records.

You can learn all about the types of aid by clicking the types of aid link or visiting financial aid.

Students who have an accepted financial aid offer before the start of the term will typically receive their grant money the end of the second week of the term. New student loan borrowers will receive their loans 30 days after the start of the term.

TBCC has two options for financial aid refunds. Students can choose direct deposit or a check will be mailed the student’s address of record. Students can sign up for direct deposit by completing a direct deposit form available at TBCC’s Business Office or online on the Financial Aid and Cost tab when logged on to MyTBCC.

Students who receive a PELL grant for summer term and have continuous enrollment for 4 terms during an academic year, must be enrolled at least half-time (6 credits) spring term to receive a PELL grant for that term.

This is called “maintaining eligibility,” and here are some tips on making sure you stay eligible to keep receiving your financial aid while in college:

1 – Register for and complete all classes each term.

Students must complete 66.67% of the credits attempted with an A, B, C, D or P (pass) in order to maintain satisfactory academic progress. Dropped classes and courses that receive a grade of F, NP (No Pass) , I (incomplete) and W (withdraw) are NOT counted toward completed credits. Notify the financial aid office as soon as possible if you plan to change your enrollment status for a current or future term.

2 – Make sure you maintain and achieve an overall GPA of at least a 2.0.

3 – Complete your degree within a maximum timeframe.

Students are not eligible to receive financial aid after they have attempted the maximum credits allowed. The financial aid office determines maximum credits on an individual basis. You will be notified by the financial aid office when you are approaching your maximum timeframe. Students should be aware that changing colleges or degrees can affect timeframe. 

4 – Keep your contact information up to date.

You should update your information regularly with the college and your FAFSA. If there is a change of name, address or phone number login online or contact the financial aid office at or 503-842-8222 x 1100 for information on how to update your information.

5 – Reapply for financial aid each year.

Make sure you reapply for financial aid each year. Apply early, the application is available at FAFSA or ORSAA each year beginning on October 1st.

6 – Notify Financial Aid when taking a break from school.

Students withdrawing from school officially or unofficially may be required to repay all or a portion of their financial aid for the term. Make sure you contact the financial aid office before withdrawing from school. Loan repayment begins 60 days after the student is no longer enrolled in at least 6 credits.

Financial Resources

Financial Aid Contact

Financial Aid

(503) 842-8222 ext.1130   |   Send Email

Mon – Fri 8:30am – 4:30pm

Skip to content